Why Choose Us?
Our founder, Dr. Nicolas V. Christou, MD, PhD, FRCSC, FASMBS, FcACS is the most experienced bariatric surgeon in Canada and a world authority on surgical treatments of morbid obesity. He was trained by Dr. L.D. MacLean at McGill University and has been performing bariatric surgery since 1976. In 1995 he became the first full-time bariatric surgeon in Canada, devoting all his surgical practice to bariatric surgery. He performed Canada’s first elective laparoscopic gastric bypass on February 8th 2002. He has performed over 4,000 bariatric procedures. As he is nearing retirement, he has passed on the reins of the practice to the capable and extremely well trained Dr. Simon Chow, MD MSc FRCSC FACS. This will ensure the seamless transition of care for all patients.
Our access to a fully accredited private hospital, Centre Métropolitain de Chirurgie (CMC), which has been licensed by the Health Ministry since 1973, allows us to admit patients to the hospital after surgery for the careful observation required for safe surgery. In the private sector, we are in full control of our practice and can choose the best technology, the most effective medications and most current surgical instrumentation. We are not limited to one bariatric procedure; our surgeons are free to discuss with our patients the operation that best fits their risk profile and long-term weight loss goals. Our surgeons perform the surgery (no trainees) and respond to all emergencies in the hospital. Once patients are discharged from the hospital, the surgeons are available through their cell phones 24/7 for patient emergencies.
We have operated on over 1,500 patients at our private hospital since 2006 with an excellent record and long-term results. During a consultation, our surgeons will discuss with you your exact risk profile based on a large patient experience so you can make an informed decision about your care.
Learn more about Specific Surgery Outcomes as published by Dr. Christou
Availability (no wait list)
We provide evidence based, state of the art, surgical treatment options for severe life threatening obesity for patients who wish to take control of their health and life! Patients can have their surgery within 4-6 weeks from the office consultation. This time is required for the proper preparation for safe bariatric surgery.
When comparing us to other clinics consider the following:
- Do they provide “turn-key” service and no additional fees for their services?
- Do they perform your surgery is an accredited hospital as opposed to an ambulatory or day surgery center?
- Do they admit and monitor you for 1-3 days after the surgery in an accredited hospital as opposed to a sending you to a hotel room?
- Do they provide state of the art electronic surveillance of your vital signs (pulse rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, temperature, blood glucose level) when you leave the hospital and for 3 months after, to ensure your safety?
- Do they provide follow-up with a registered, bariatric expert dietitian for 1 year after your surgery?