The laparoscopic RY gastric bypass is performed by introducing a laparoscope, which is connected to a video camera, through small abdominal incisions, giving a magnified view of the internal organs on a television monitor. The entire operation is performed “inside” the abdomen after gas has been inserted to expand it. Special stapling instruments are used to separate about 5% of the stomach to create a new small <30 ml Gastric Pouch. The remaining 95% of the stomach (Excluded Stomach) is not removed. It continues to produce digestive juices and some essential factors. The outlet from this newly formed Gastric Pouch is connected to the small intestine (Roux limb) so that food empties directly into the lower portion of the intestine (Small Intestine Common Channel) bypassing the stomach. Digestive juices produced by the stomach, pancreas, gall bladder and duodenum are directed by the Billio-Pancreatic Limb back into the common channel in a “Y” shape hookup that gives the technique its name (Roux-en-Y gastric bypass). The small Gastric Pouch causes patients to feel full sooner and eat less (restriction); bypassing a portion of the intestine means the patient’s body absorbs fewer calories (malabsorption).
Dr. Christou, our founder, believes that the laparoscopic gastric bypass, when performed properly, produces the best long tern results. Dr. Christou believes that the surgical technique used by most bariatric surgeons results in large gastric pouches (new stomach) which enlarge further with the passage of time and the adaptation of the human body. This can lead to significant weight regain. To avoid this, Dr. Christou and the WLS surgeons under his mentorship use a special technique that creates a very small stomach pouch, ~30-40 ml. This pouch does not enlarge and is responsible for the excellent results shown by our patients. If you want to see the technique see Ou Surgical Videos.
If you try to eat more than 4 ounces of food at a meal, you may feel uncomfortable and may regurgitate. This reaction is common, but often is due to inappropriate eating behaviors. You quickly will learn how to eat to avoid discomfort and regurgitation. As you eat less food, your body will stop storing excess calories and it will begin to use its fat energy stores.
Patients report an early sense of fullness and satisfaction that reduces the desire to eat.
Patients who have gastric bypass generally lose more weight sooner than patients who undergo purely restrictive procedures.
Our patient follow-up statistics* show that the Gastric Bypass, results in the loss of 60-80% of the extra weight patients carry and keep this weight from coming back if they follow our post-operative instructions.
Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.
In addition to this weight loss, if they have any of these conditions, they will improve or resolve after the surgery:
Finally, the health benefits gained with gastric bypass surgery can reduce your risk of premature death.
Please note that the death rate while waiting to have bariatric surgery is higher than the risk of the surgery itself!
|Short Term (within 30 days of Surgery)|
|C. difficile colitis||0.2%|
|Deep vein thrombosis||0.4%|
|Suture/Staple line leak||3.2%|
|Port site infection||1.2%|
|Tear of the lining of the intestine||0.2%|
|* – for selected cases with BMI<59, ASA<4 and OSMRS<4. All case gastric bypass mortality rate = 0.4%|
|Long Term (for the rest of your life)|
|Stricture of the pouch-intestine hookup (GJ)||4.0%|
|New stomach pouch ulcers (anastomotic ulcers)||1.4%|
|Hernia at the port sites (small holes used for the surgery)||0.8%|
|Comunication between the new stomach pouch and the old stomach||1.2%|
|Formation of gallbladder stones||2.8%|
|Communication between parts of the small intestine (fistulas)||0.2%|
|Blockage of the small intestine/Internal hernia (bowel obstruction)||2.6%|
|Pregnancy in the first year after surgery||1.1%|
|Need for additional surgery||3%|
|Vitamin and Mineras deficiencies||2%|
Complex medical conditions increase the risk of surgery and are considered on a patient-by-patient basis.